Blog for budding Sheikhspeares entering National Novel Writing Month 2006

October 30, 2006

Two Things

Two things:

1) Last night, I timed myself for one hour, to see how many words I could write on an idea I had in my mind. The result: 1259. Number of words per day required to total 50,000 at the end of 30 days: 1266.

2) Sometimes, I try to write based on my own experiences, and it comes out very flat and uninspired. Last year, my narrator in my NaNoWriMo attempt was based on someone completely unlike me, and actual events I didn't know much about, and I was amazed where my imagination took me. I might never write autobiographically again.

4 Comments:

Blogger secretdubai said...

1) That means you're going to be 30(1266-1259)=210 words short by the end of the month, and fail miserably ;)

2) Everyone's first biographical is supposedly semi-autobiographical (whatever you try and write - even if it's about an alien wildebeast travelling around Neptune it will somehow start turning into you and your life) and everyone's first novel is supposedly usually a self-indulgent piece of shite. I know mine already is, and I'm only 10k words in. So that's pretty impressive if you are able to avoid this. Do let us know how!

31 October, 2006 00:15

 
Blogger Susie Dee said...

There IS a chance I spoke too soon when I said I won't write about myself!

31 October, 2006 00:32

 
Blogger forestsister said...

yeah, see that scares me because my wee 50,000 word project is kinda a self-indulgent piece of shite but i'm hoping i can carry it off with wit and creativity.

ahahahhahaa

mind you, i might use up all that wit on the first day and then have 29 more days to go of watching paint dry.

31 October, 2006 21:32

 
Blogger BD said...

I've never before tried to author a novel or any kind of fiction, but I was also aware of the notion that a lot of fiction is auto-biographical. I figured I wouldn't fight it, and anyway I don't think I could credibly make up so many details without having to laboriously check and double-check that everything squared. I suppose even the boring life of a nobody could have an angle. Who's to say, for example, that reading about the life of an anonymous street cleaner might not be more interesting than reading about the life of a president or sheikh. Life is as much about what's inside our heads as what is seen on the outside.

01 November, 2006 18:18

 

Post a Comment

<< Home