Blog for budding Sheikhspeares entering National Novel Writing Month 2006

November 14, 2006

Appointing an editor

snow white and I have decided to take on the task of "editing" one another's "books" assuming we complete nanowrimo. (I'm not sure which of those words is more in need of qualifying marks - to call mine a book frankly defames literature).

secretdubai (01:43:16): I think we should both do a "soft" job
secretdubai (01:43:31): avoid any proper critique, just make notes about stuff we don't understand
secretdubai (01:43:41): and tidy up errors
secretdubai (01:43:52): then if we feel brave enough, we may ask one another for very gentle criticism
secretdubai (01:43:54): kind of:
secretdubai (01:44:45): "this is truly the most brilliant work I have ever read, and I was moved to tears of wonder at nearly every page. I do just wonder though if the third line of paragraph four on page 55 is just very slightly cliched?"
secretdubai (01:44:47): like that
snow_white (01:45:11): I'm meandering and subplotting all over the bloody shop to pad out the wordage
secretdubai (01:45:19): lol at least you have subplots!
secretdubai (01:45:26): yours will be like Shakespeare
secretdubai (01:45:45): mine reads like poorly written dialogue interspersed with bad glurge from a Dubai tourist guide
secretdubai (01:46:00): and my characters keep being startled and shocked and surprised
secretdubai (01:46:25): as I bloody well would in their shoes, with all the "coincidences" (=desperately implausible plot devices)
snow_white (01:46:18): Like Shakespeare - unintelligible and boring unless made into a movie .... Yes, that was an excellent critique

1 Comments:

Blogger RomanceWriter said...

"this is truly the most brilliant work I have ever read, and I was moved to tears of wonder at nearly every page. I do just wonder though if the third line of paragraph four on page 55 is just very slightly cliched?"

LOL. That is how you have to start out though with critism. A huge dose of sugar with the bitter truth.

14 November, 2006 09:58

 

Post a Comment

<< Home